Monday - No school
Tuesday - Bell I
Wednesday -Bell I
Thursday -Bell IFriday - Bell I
You must prove DC residency now!
All new and returning families must prove residency by September 11th. If this is not taken care of, your child will be excluded from school.
Please do not disrupt your child's learning.
Come in to verify residency today!
If you have questions, please email Ms. Baxter.
7th grade expectations assembly
8th grade expectations assembly
DC BAS testing
PTA Welcome Reception in the cafeteria
6:30 pm - Reception
7 pm - PTA meeting
DC BAS testing
LSRT meeting, 7:30 am
Hemlock Trip forAztecs
Hemlock Trip for Green Scholars
Hemlock Trip for Olympians & Team United Nations
Sally Foster Collection Day!
PTA conference appointment sheets sent home
Hispanic Heritage Assembly
Spirit Week begins!
Mid-Advisory Progress/ Deficiency Reports sent home
Student Council induction ceremony
Back to School Night 6:30 - 9 pm
International Trip parent meeting 5:30 pm
Sally Foster Collection Day!
Math Night 6:30 - 8 pm
LSRT mtg 7:30 am
Parent Teacher Conference Day
(students not in school)
National History Day Workshop for parents and students 7pm
Columbus Day (Holiday)
International Night 7-9 pm
Jamestown/ Williamsburg Trip for 8th graders
Sally Foster Pick-up day
Student Portrait Day
End of 1st advisory
Halloween Party 3:30 - 6 pm
October 28th & 29th
DC BAS testing
Wilson night 6:30 pm
Record keeping day - students dismissed @ 12:15
Student Council Non-perishable food drive begins
Deal Night 6:30 - 8 pm
LSRT meeting 7:30 am
November 8th & 9th
Politics & Prose Book Store Sale!
Veteran's Day (Holiday)
PTA Parent Education Workshop, 7 pm
|Message from Principal Kim
The first week of school was terrific! The positive energy coming from students and teachers makes each day a joy. I am also thankful to the many parents who have expressed such willingness to get involved and support our school.
Some highlights of the first week:
I have to thank the wonderful souls who helped to beautify our school during Deal Beautification day again. The plants in the tree boxes and along the front walkway make this a pleasant and welcoming place!
- All students have received their textbooks! (Thanks to Ms. Lindler, Ms. Streeter, & social studies teachers!)
- All students have received their lockers! (Thanks to Ms. Baxter, Mr. Greenhill, and HR teachers!)
- Deal Family Music Night was so well attended! We didn't get an exact count, but certainly well over 120 students and parents came out to learn how to get involved!!! Yahoo! Mr. Jackson and Mr. Frye have big plans for students and music this year. It was nice to reconnect with returning families and meet new ones.
- The administrative team has visited every single class.
- Students and teachers are having fun learning and getting to know each other!
The PTA and I welcome all parents to the Welcome Back Reception this Thursday at 6:30. Please join us for light refreshments at 6:30, with the formal meeting will beginning at 7 pm. All our new teachers and many of our returning teachers will be there to say hello. I hope to see all of our parents on Thursday night!
Alice Deal Middle School
Collecting PTA first-day packets & Deal Parent Compact
School Safety Assembly
- Students, please bring in those packets! The 1st HR to collect 100% of those packets will celebrate with a pizza party!
- There will be a School Safety Assembly on Tuesday for 7th graders and on Wednesday for 8th graders. The schedule is as follows:
1st period - Green Scholars
2nd period - Aztecs
3rd period - Olympians (Mungai & McDowell)
1st period - Braveheart
2nd period - Odyssey
3rd period - Olympians (Kinzer & Lerum)
DC BAS Testing on the 4th and 5th
7th Grade Teams Visit Hemlock Overlook
- Teachers, please follow the schedule that Ms. Hernandez will place in your mailbox.
- 7th grade students will participate in Deal's sixth annual community-building trip to Hemlock Overlook Center the week of September 8th. The Deal PTA is once again sponsoring this fun-filled adventure - thank you! Students will travel to Hemlock with their teams on the following dates:
Monday, Sept. 8th - Aztecs
Tuesday, Sept. 9th - Green Scholars
Wednesday, Sept. 10th - Olympians &
Team United Nations
On the day of their trip, students must arrive at school by 8:00 am. Students will return to Deal around 6 pm and parents should be ready to pick them up at that time. Students are reminded to wear comfortable clothing and bring a bag lunch and couple of bottles of water. Ask your homeroom teacher if you have additional questions about the trip.
Have your work published!
- You can make news! We are looking for 7th and 8th grade Deal students to write a School Dispatches column for the North West Current, a weekly newspaper. Each student will only need to write a short (2-3 paragraph) article every 6-8 weeks. The student can pick any Deal-related topic. To volunteer please contact Susan Ullman ([email protected] or 966-81789).
Deal Debate Team Invites New Members
- Do you love to argue and prove you are right? Then come out next Monday after school and learn from the best in the nation's capital. The Deal Debate Team begins its preparation for another year of exciting debate about the hottest topics locally, nationally, and internationally. The mighty D.D.T. (not to be confused with the pesticide) is for students willing to go head-to-head in competitions that last for entire Saturdays, after weeks of research and practice. It is also a great place to develop leadership skills, as research and strategy is a student-led process. The Debate Team meets at 3:20 pm after school in Ms. Sweeney's classroom beginning next Monday, September 8th. In order to attend, you need a permission form that you can pick up from Ms. Sweeney in room CG06, or from Mr. Hughes, who is in room 215 any day after school.
Fencing Club Challenges You to a Duel!
- Did you notice that the first gold medal won by an American at this summer's Olympic Games was by a fencer?
You have a chance to dream of glory while wielding a sword by coming out for the Deal Fencing Club, which meets after school in room 215 on Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 3:20 until 5 pm. Deal supplies all the equipment, weapons, and protective uniforms. You need no experience. You get to attack your friends with sticks and it is completely okay! You must have a signed permission slip to attend, which you may pick up from Mr. Hughes in room 215 any day after school.
From Your Athletic Director
- Our fall sports season is getting ready to take off next week! Don't miss your chance to join one of Deal's championship athletic programs. Listen for announcements over the PA system and read the on-line weekly bulletin with your parents. If you are not sure when or where a team is trying out, stop by our brand new gymnasium to see Mr. Jenkins, the athletic director, to get the information that you need.
- There will be volleyball tryouts on Thursday and Friday from 3:30 - 4:30 pm in the gym. Please see Ms. Ortiz on Tuesday and Wednesday to pick up a permission slip.
- Cheerleading tryouts will be held from September 10 to September 14, in the gym, from 3:30 - 5:00 pm. Please see Ms. Baxter for a permission slip.
Monthly Faculty Meetings
- Teachers, please add the following faculty meeting dates to your school calendar:
- September 18
- October 16
- November 20
- December 18
- January 15, 2009
- February 19, 2009
- March 19, 2009
- April 15, 2009
- May 21, 2009
- June 4, 2009