Monday - Bell I
Tuesday - Bell I
Wednesday -Bell I
Thursday -Bell IFriday - Bell I
You must prove DC residency Today!
All new and returning families must prove residency by today. If this is not taken care of, your child will be excluded from school.
Please do not disrupt your child's learning.
Come in to verify residency today!
If you have questions, please email Ms. Baxter.
|Announcing the Alice Deal Girls' Soccer Team!!
|Thanks for all of the girls who tried out! It is wonderful to have so many enthusiastic players!
Your selection is pending submission of the necessary consent and medical forms to the athletic department.
There will be mandatory practice on Wednesday and Friday from 3:30-5pm!
Hemlock Trip forAztecs
Hemlock Trip for Green Scholars
Hemlock Trip for Olympians & Team United Nations
8th grade Olympian trip to Newseum & MLK Jr. Library
Sally Foster Collection Day!
PTA conference appointment sheets sent home
Hispanic Heritage Assembly
Spirit Week begins!
Mid-Advisory Progress/ Deficiency Reports sent home
Student Council induction ceremony
Back to School Night
6:30 - 9 pm
International Trip parent meeting 5:30 pm
Sally Foster Collection Day!
Math Night 6:30 - 8 pm
LSRT mtg 7:30 am
Parent Teacher Conference Day
(students not in school)
National History Day Workshop for parents and students 7pm
Columbus Day (Holiday)
International Night 7-9 pm
Jamestown/ Williamsburg Trip for 8th graders
IB Community Meeting for Deal families
Sally Foster Pick-up day
Student Portrait Day
End of 1st advisory
3:30 - 6 pm
October 28th & 29th
DC BAS testing
Wilson night 6:30 pm
Record keeping day - students dismissed @ 12:15pm
Student Council Non-perishable food drive begins
Deal Night 6:30 - 8 pm
LSRT meeting 7:30 am
November 8th & 9th
Politics & Prose Book Store Sale!
Veteran's Day (Holiday)
PTA Parent Education Workshop, 7 pm
Mid-Advisory Progress Reports sent home
Picture Make-up Day
Deal Open House #1
Geography Bee Competition
LSRT meeting 7:30am
Parent Teacher Conference Day
(students not in school)
|Message from Principal Kim
If you missed our Welcome Reception last Thursday, you missed out! About 100 parents came to Deal to tour the new building and meet and greet teachers and other parents. Many teachers and staff also were present to say hello, even after a full workday. This shows their dedication to our children and also their commitment to partner with the parents! The teachers and staff present were:
Mr. Geremia, Mr. Frye, Ms. Lerum. Mr. Santiago, Ms. Hernandez, Ms. Overby, Ms. McFarland, Ms. Ortiz, Mr. Brecher, Mr. McDowell, Mr. Koplowitz, Mr. Hughes, Ms. Kinzer, Ms. Ge, Mr. Kirschenbaum, Ms. Norelli, Mr. Brandenburg, Ms. Mostoller, Ms. Sweeney, Ms. Hovancsek, Ms. Sonick, Mr. Albright, Ms. Spann, Ms. Brooks, Ms. Neal, & Mr. Dacoba.
Teachers and students, we need to make an extra effort to take care of our surroundings. Please pick up pieces of paper and other random items from the hallway as you see them. Our school is big (and growing bigger) and we all must take ownership of common spaces around us.
Additionally, please remember to recycle! We recycle all types and colors of paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, aluminum cans, and printer cartridges! Please remember to send down your "Green Cards" to Mr. Winn-Ritzenberg so that our student recyclers can empty your recycling bin! If we all do it right, your recycling bin should be full while your trash cans stay empty!!
Alice Deal Middle School
- The Counseling Department extends a heartfelt thank you to the staff, students, and volunteers who helped with the DC-BAS initiative. We hope to continue this successful partnership.
- Thank you to our wonderful security team!!! Officers Campbell, Blunt, & Ward do an excellent job keeping us safe while still extending a warm welcome to all visitors!
Congratulations to the first 2 homerooms to turn in 100% of the PTA 1st day packets!!!
- The 8th grade pizza party goes to Ms. Sweeney's HR class! The 7th grade pizza party goes to Mr. Kirschenbaum's HR class! Nice work! Mr. Geremia's HR also turned in 100% of their packets, winning the distinction of the 2nd best HR class in the 7th grade!
- We still need all HR students and teacher to push for 100% submission!
Schedule Changes & Book Exchanges
- HR teachers, please pass out the new schedules to students who will be recieving them. The purple schedules were placed in your mailboxes. Please instruct students to follow their new schedule beginning today.
- Since some students' math classes will change this morning, the Book Room will be open the 1st 15-20 minutes of each period to accommodate book needs. Please send only the students whose math class has changed to the Book Room with his/her "old" math book to exchange it for the "new" math book.
7th Grade Teams Visit Hemlock Overlook
- 7th grade students will participate in Deal's sixth-annual community-building trip to Hemlock Overlook this week. Thanks to the generous members of the Deal PTA for sponsoring this fun-filled team-building adventure!
Monday - Aztecs
Tuesday - Green Scholars
Wednesday - Olympians & Team United Nations
Students must arrive at school by 8 am. Students will return to Deal around 6 pm and parents should be ready to pick them up at that time. Students are reminded to wear comfortable clothing and bring a bag lunch and couple of bottles of water.
8th Grade Olympians Travel to Newseum & MLK Jr. Memorial Library
- While the 7th grade Olympians travel to Hemlock Overlook on Wednesday, 8th Grade Olympians will get an introduction to the American History curriculum as well as a foundation in research skills by traveling to both the Newseum and the MLK Jr. Library. Students will leave the building at 9:00 a.m. sharp and return by 3:15 for dismissal. Students are reminded to bring round-trip Metro fare and a bag lunch.
Tardy Detention Begins Today!
- Students who arrive after 8:45 today will have detention after school from 3:20 - 4pm. Parents will be notified of the detention by Ms. Edwards with a phone call or phone message. Punctuality is important, we expect to see all students in class learning @ 8:45am!
Olympians Welcome Ms. Nemati
- Ms. Nemati, an intern from American University, will be joining Team Olympians beginning this week. She will work primarily with students in their science classes, but is eager to learn from the entire Deal community. Please make a point to introduce yourself to her.
Peer Mediator Meeting
- Eighth grade peer mediators will have their first lunch meeting of the year this Tuesday, during 5th Period in room 103. During the meeting, you will plan out how you will lead others for this school year and use the skills you developed last year during training. Peer Mediators should get their lunches from their lockers or from the cafeteria and go directly to the lunch meeting. They will miss recess that day.
The Human Rights Club
- Today's world is characterized by massive disrespect for the rights of human beings especially children and women. Unfortunately, many cases of abuse either go unnoticed or people are too shy to talk about them. The Human Rights Club helps students gain an awareness of local and international human rights issues, tolerance, dealing with diversity, a peaceable school environment, etc. If you believe you have a passion for human rights please join Mr. Ngwa for an information session this Tuesday at 3:15pm in Room N101.
Eighth Graders Study History at Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg
- Eighth grade students will receive letters and permission slips in US History classes this week for the October 17th class trip to Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg. The cost of the trip is $70.00, a fee that includes all transportation, guided tours, and gratuities. Parents are asked to return the signed permission slips along with full payment in a check or money order payable to Deal MS as soon as possible. Students will complete assignments that reflect Deal's commitment to IB best practices in the four core disciplines of history, math, science, and language arts.
Department Chairperson Meeting
- The Department Chairpersons will meet at 3:30 pm this Thursday in Room N101.
DC STARS Training and Passwords
Student Government Officer Meeting
- Teachers should see Ms. Baxter during their planning period to receive DCSTARS training and passwords.
- Officers from last year's Student Government will meet this Tuesday in Room 207. If you have any questions, please see Mr. Kirschenbaum in Room 207.
- Are you interested in making a difference in your school community? If so, think about representing your homeroom in this year's student government. Elections will be held this week in your homeroom and our first meeting will be next Tuesday, September 16th in Room 207. See Mr. Kirschenbaum if you have any questions.
Students with Severe Food Allergies and/ or Asthma
- If your child may need rescue medicines during an emergency at school, please inform the school nurse and the child's teachers of this possibility. The school nurse can give you the proper forms to complete. Also please be aware, that carrying an inhaler or Epi-Pen is not permissible unless your child's pediatrician has completed a form called "Authorization for Administration of Medication" for this school year. Visit the Health Room or call the school nurse at 202-282-0252 for more information. Be SAFE, Be Happy.
Morning and Afternoon Tutoring
- Ms. Stanley will be available from 7:00 - 8:30 am, Monday through Thursday, to assist students with writing, organization, and reading comprehension skills.
The sessions will run from 7:00 - 7:40 am and 7:45 - 8:30 am Monday through Thursday. Students who come for the first session will be involved in reading comprehension and writing enhancement activities during the second session.
There will be an after-school session, from 3:30 - 4:15 pm, by invitation only, to assist students who have been unprepared in classes. Parents will be called to advise them as the need arises. Please contact Ms. Stanley if you are interested in getting reading support.
- Cheerleading tryouts will be held Monday through Thursday in the gym, from 3:30 - 5:00 pm.
Local WTU Elections on Thursday, September 11, 2008
In order to make it official, the interim members of SCAC are holding an official election on Thursday, for all of the elected teacher positions at Deal. The following positions will be voted on:
- School Chapter Advisory Committee (SCAC)
- Local School Restructuring Team (LSRT)
- WTU Representative
- Personnel Committee Representatives
The elections will take place from 7:20 to 8 am and from 3:30 to 4 pm in the main lobby, and during periods 4 and 5 in the teachers' lounge. The ballots will be counted as soon as possible thereafter.
You must be a current WTU member in order to vote for SCAC and WTU representative. Any teacher may vote for LSRT and Personnel Committee.
We could still use some poll-watchers and ballot-counters, but you cannot be a candidate for any position if you take on this responsibility. Please inform any of the SCAC members if you able to help.
Community News: Capitol Letters Writing Center
Capitol Letters Writing Center believes that every student can be a brilliant writer. They help new writers discover their voices through free writing workshops and one-on-one attention, in partnership with educators.
It's easy to get involved. Join them for a volunteer orientation this Tuesday at 5pm. More details about the orientation and other events can be found on the website at www.capitolletters.org